Yes we all know my husband has a couple meals he rocks, this is one of them. We had friends for dinner and my husband decided to be the chef for the evening. I LOVED it! I enjoy cooking but sometimes I absolutely get tired and unmotivated. It’s so refreshing when he steps in and takes it off my hands for the night.
He made the chili and I made the bread.
- 2 pounds Italian sausage (1/3 sweet, 1/3 spicy, 1/3 mild)
- Sautéed mushrooms (season to taste w/garlic)
- Sautéed onions (season to taste)
- 12oz kidney beans
- 12oz garbanzo beans
- 12oz tomato’s preferably diced
- 8oz tomato sauce
- Fresh basil (to taste)
- Fresh rosemary (to taste)
- 1 packet schillings chili mixture (or we can come up with our own for authenticity)
- Chili powder (add depending on spicy or non-spicy)
- Oregano to taste
Cook sausage until brown (keep drippings and excess liquid)
Sautee mushrooms with garlic and sea salt until brown
Sautee onions until slightly brown
Add tomato ingredients (diced tomatoes and sauce), along with kidney, garbanzo beans and include oregano, fresh basil, fresh rosemary and chili mixture. This becomes the chili.
Add sausage to chili.
Add sautéed mushrooms and onions to chili.
Add additional chili mixture or powder to chili for desired spiciness.
Simmer for 3-4 hours for the best flavor of the chili.